The DMLS process
Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) is an Additive Manufacturing (AM) technique designed to melt and fuse metallic powders together into a solid three-dimensional part using a high power-density laser.
Utilizing the Direct Metal Laser Sintering system allows for the creation of complex metal shapes and opens the avenue for increased productivity.
DMLS main features
To strengthen the service of DMLS CRP Meccanica and Zare Prototyping can offer the top quality metal additive technology, a wide range of processed materials and high-tech DMLS/SLM machines.
With the Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) process it is possible to build objects in 17-4 PH Steel, Cobalt-Chrome and Titanium alloys, directly from CAD file without the use of machining.
The parts are produced in only a few hours, layer by layer, through local melting of metal powders to allow the construction of shapes with a layer thickness up to 20 micron.
In CRP Meccanica the complete elimination of tooling and patterns warehouse is guaranteed by short time in the construction of metal sintered parts.
Moreover, different solutions have been adopted successfully for racing applications in frame construction to reduce the weight both exploiting complex geometries and high performance materials.
The advantages of Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
The advantages of Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) process are:
- Objects are created by an easy and completely automatic procedure – there are no secondary treatments to infiltrate the parts and this avoids the problem of distortion or warping the shape of the part in a kiln
- The technology allows the creation of very complex geometries that cannot be produced by machining – examples include deep cavities integrated with cooling channels and extractors, even in narrow spaces
- Parts can be finished with conventional polishing techniques, precision turning, welding or even laser welding and traditional mold creation techniques (milling cutter and EDM) and generic mechanic manufacturing
Sectors that get the maximum benefit from DMLS
The sectors that mostly appreciate the advantages of Direct Metal Laser Sintering are:
- Aerospace and aeronautic
- Biomedical (low to medium production quantities customized)
Materials processed with DMLS
DMLS uses a variety of alloys, allowing prototypes to be functional parts and or applications made out of the same material as production components.
CRP Meccanica processes a wide range of materials
- Scalmalloy® aluminium special alloy
A wide variety of machine options are available at CRP Meccanica and Zare Prototyping.
N° 1 Concept Laser X-Line 2000R – 800 x 400 x 500 mm
N° 4 Concept Laser M2 Dual Laser – 250 x 250 x 280 mm
N° 1 Concept Laser M2 – 250 x 250 x 280 mm
N° 2 Concept Laser Mlab Cusing R – 90 x 90 x 90 mm
N° 1 Renishaw AM 250 – 250 x 250 x 300 mm
N° 1 SLM Solutions SLM 280 – 280 x 280 x 365 mm